Math for Success is a methodology that promotes a connection to daily, real-life math situations.
The goal of this methodology is to encompass all strands, with concepts and skills applied through daily problem solving.
Children learn through the context of problem-solving. I have discovered through experience of using this methodology since 1995, that ALL children learn because of the revisiting of concepts, giving students opportunities to make deep connections. I have also learned that children will master the concepts and skills at their grade level and beyond. They become creative and confident problem solvers.
I have my Masters in Elementary Education, with a focus in Elementary Mathematics, (July, 2010). The literature studied through the Masters program affirmed for me that the research supports Math for Success, which enhances conceptual understanding through the revisiting of concepts, integration of strands and rich problem solving. In 2012, I was awarded the Alberta Education Excellence in Teaching Award.
Of course, I have to teach certain concepts through mini-lessons and students do worksheets to practice concepts, but most concepts are learned through Math for Success methodology.
Math for Success takes the pressure off of planning unit by unit. There's no need to review at the end of a year because you're reviewing and doing daily. I am amazed with how the students have done. Students make huge gains in mathematical ability.
DARLENE KUSICK THE LADY WHO BREATHES, SLEEPS AND EATS MATHEMATICS!
- 30 years of classroom teaching experience
- Written and self-published Math for Success teacher guide books for K-6
- Masters in Elementary Math (2012)
- Excellence of Teaching Award (2012)
- Capping project, Subitizing, The Benefits for Early Childhood Educators published
- Been a mentor within my school and district
- Provided many professional learning workshops and sessions for schools, PLC groups, districts, Alberta Consortiums, MCATA, Early Childhood Conference, Teachers Conventions and NCTM
- Since 2001 I have presented in the following places: Olds, Bowden, Innisfail, Red Deer, Lacombe, Edmonton, La La Biche, Bonneyville, St. Paul, Ashmont, Vegreville, Wainwright, Vermilion, Drayton Valley, Okotoks, Strathmore, Calgary, Lethbridge, Brooks, Medicine Hat, Grande Prairie, Athabasca, Canmore, Maskwacis , Pincher Creek, Whitecourt, Saskatchewan, Nevada ( I know there are more but it is difficult to recall everyone)
- Continually read educational books and articles to learn and grow in my knowledge about how kids learn math
- Attend many conferences within Alberta and outside of province (U.S.A) to extend my learning.
Math For Success - Introduction
Here is what people say about Darlene’s Professional Learning Opportunities:
Ms. Kusick is the BEST Teacher!! I love math now because of how fun she made it! I really liked the games.
Myles Goodheart - Student
Ms. Kusick was the Best thing that could happen for my son in Grade 3! The skills he learned will follow and help him succeed throughout his school career.
She taught him to love math and the importance of understanding and that it's not enough to just memorize equations.
Breanne Goodheart - Parent
Teaching a split grades 3/4 class in a pandemic year was giving me so much anxiety, especially for mathematics. I could not find resources that would support split grade teaching and learning (grade 4 math is very different than grade 3 math) without alienating one grade at a time. Darlene kindly spoke with me over the phone and coached me through teaching a grades 3/4 split using her Math 4 Success resource. Now I am able to teach both grades at one time and I can even teach up to all four strands in one day. The resource is easy to modify and I find so many more teaching moments when interacting with the students for the whole class.
Many students have said that math is now their favourite subject!
Shawna Turner - Teacher - Brooks, AB